Wednesday, May 1, 2013

DIY Onesie

Just over a year ago I had two coworkers who were expecting and due on the same day!  I really fell in love with applique onesies and made some for both of them and my niece Ellie.  They are so easy to make, even if you cannot sew.  Since I was hanging around all day today anyway I decided to make some for Baby B.  Unfortunately, making anything for little girls is always so much cuter than making stuff for little boys.  I found that I only had one fabric choice that seemed boyish enough.  Oh well.

To start you only need three things:


  1. Plain white onesies - washed, dried and ironed.
  2. The shapes of the things you want to applique.  I usually just google a picture I like, size it and then trace it from the computer screen onto paper.  For Baby B I used these four pictures. 
  3. Heat n Bond.  I like to use the ultra, it does not require any sewing at all to adhere your fabric cutout to the onesie.

    Then you simply iron your Heat n Bond to the backside of your fabric.  Trace your design onto the back of your fabric, remembering to reverse the image if you need to.  Cut it out, peel off the paper backing and then iron it on to the front of the onesie.  So simple!  You could do this with anything.  I added an applique to one of Emily's t-shirts.  You could do lettering on the back of a t-shirt.  The sky's the limit!  Here's how Baby B's turned out.



    They're a little boring because they all have the same fabric, but I think I am going to get a little creative.  On some of them I am going to hand stitch around the design.  I think I am going to use red thread on the whale and add a little red button for an eye.  I still have to think of some ideas for the other ones.  My favorite is definitely the Missouri onesie and if you look closely you can see the little pink heart over St. Louis.  I might have to make more as he grows into bigger sizes!


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment