Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Happy Anniversary Sweden

Exactly one year ago today we arrived in Sweden, with 12 suitcases, 2 children and 1 job.  This last year has been the hardest year of my life and the best year of my life.  I have met some amazing people, have some of the best coworkers and made some lifelong friends.  I have also been very far away from some of the most important people in my life.  In some ways we aren't that far away...14 hours, roughly.  That's closer than the drive from St. Louis to DC, but in other ways we're really far away.  It costs about $1,000 for a plane ticket back home.  That is certainly not cheap and not something we can afford more than once a year.  I definitely miss being able to drive to Chicago for a weekend and see my sisters.  I miss having family game nights.  I miss not being able to be there for special moments.  Like my stepmom's marriage to Gregali, Ellie's 2nd birthday, Addie's 1st birthday, Jessie's 30th birthday.  Yet, at the same time, I really enjoy my life in Huskvarna.  I like where I live and where I work.  I like the calm, easy pace of a Swedish lifestyle.  I also had baby Henry here so this place will always be special to me.  It was definitely not an easy decision I made to move here, but one that I am glad I made.  It is a chapter in my life that I will never forget and neither will Emily and Tyler.  It has been fun to watch them learn a new language, make new friends, become more responsible and grow in ways I never thought possible.  It has not always been easy...we have all definitely had some homesick moments and we have had to adjust to living in a much smaller space, but overall I think we made the right choice...for us...for now.  Hannes and I have always said that this is not a permanent move, but something we felt was important for us to do.  Eventually, we would like to move back to the states and continue our life there, but for now this is our home.  At the end of one year here we have 1 small apartment, 3 children and 2 jobs.  We have definitely grown a lot!

And here's a cute picture of Henry!




Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to snuggle that handsome boy! I miss you intensely.

    ReplyDelete